net:25 | net:future
25 Years of Internet in Austria
If we take a look at the net: future, where will digital technology evolve over the next 20 years? Will the trend to be "hyperconnected" anytime, anywhere continue? What data and machines will positively impact our lives and social interactions in the future?
Conference language: English
Programme net:future | Tuesday, 2 June 2015
Main Ceremonial Chamber of the University of Vienna (Universitätsring 1, 1010 Vienna)
12:00 | Registration
13:00 | Opening and Welcome
Karl Schwaha, Vice Rector of the University of Vienna
13:15 | Keynote 1: Unreal objects and net futures
Speaker: Kate O'Riordan, Lecturer on Media, University of Sussex
13:45 | Panel 1: Critical Engineering or critical thinking?
Moderation: Brigitte Krenn, Language and Interaction Technologies, Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence
- Kate O'Riordan, Lecturer on Media, University of Sussex
- Joanna J. Bryson, Lecturer at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Bath
- Julian Oliver, Artist and critical engineer
- Lars Persen, Teacher, headmaster and pedagogical leader at Norwegian Scandec Systemer
14:55 | Short presentation: Funding programme "netidee"
15:00 | Coffee Break
15:30 | Panel 2: Hyperconnected tools and the call for a digital policy
Moderation: Mirjam Kühne, RIPE Labs, RIPE NCC
- Jessica Barker, Cyber Security Consultant
- Phil Zimmermann, Creator of Pretty Good Privacy
- Louis Pouzin, Creator of Datagrams, Open Root, Internet activist
- Felix Stalder, Lecturer on Digital Culture and Network Theories at the Zurich University of the Arts
16:45 | Coffee Break
17:15 | Panel 3: Dreaming big. Data versus Humans?
Moderation: Peter Purgathofer, Professor at the Faculty of Computer Science, TU Wien
- Bruce Sterling, Science Fiction Author
- Rafael Capurro, Institute for Digital Ethics, Stuttgart Media University
- Danese Cooper, Open Source Software, Paypal
18:30 | Keynote 2: Line, Backbone, Net, Web, Cloud, Ubiquity -- And What Comes After That?
Speaker: Bruce Sterling, Science Fiction Author
19:00 | Short presentation: Wiener Staatsoper's streaming project and "The Salome Experience"
Speakers: Christopher Widauer (Wiener Staatsoper) and Peter Reichl (Faculty of Computer Science at the University of Vienna)
19:15 | Buffet
20:00 | Live streaming of the opera "Salome" with buffet
In cooperation with Wiener Staatsoper's streaming team and the research groups COSY (University of Vienna) and IGW (TU Wien)
Culinary accompaniment of the day by Amon's Delicious Catering